Electromigration effects on reaction diffusion in a binary system with non-equilibrium vacancies
The model of reaction diffusion in the binary system under an electric current has been considered. The existence of non-equilibrium vacancies in the diffusion system is a feature of the model. Sources / sinks of vacancies are at the interface and in the bulk of the new phase. There has been done numerical modeling of a new phase growth based on this model. The comparing of the simulations results for different models of reaction diffusion process under electromigration have been compared. It is shown that nonequilibrium vacancies can significantly affect on the kinetics of diffusion phase growth. A new phase can grow faster either at the cathode or at the anode, depending on the efficiency of the sources / sinks of vacancies. If the sources / sinks of vacancies are effective, a phase growth will be the same as at the case of the equilibrium concentration of vacancies in the system.
1. Tu K. N. (2003). Recent advances on electromigration in very-large-scaleintegration of interconnects. Journal of Applied Physics, 94, 5451-5473.
2. Chen C., Tong H. M., Tu K. N. (2010). Electromigration and thermomigration in Pb-free flip-chip solder joints. Annu.Rev.Mater.Res., 40, 531-555.
3. An R., Tian Y., Zhang R., Wang C. (2015). Electromigration-induced intermetallic growth and voids formation in symmetrical Cu/Sn/Cu and Cu/Intermetallic compounds (IMCs)/Cu joints. J Mater Sci:Mater.Electron, 26, 2674-2681.
4. Huang M. L., Zhow S. M., Chen L. D. (2012). Electromigration-induced interfacial reactions in Cu/Sn/Electroless Ni-P Solder Interconnects. J. Electron. Mater. 41(4), 730-740.
5. Tu K. N., Gan H. (2005). Polarity effect of electromigration on kinetics of intermetallic compound formation in Pb-free solder V-groove samples Journal of Applied Physics. 97, 063514.
6. Huang M. L., Zhang Z. J., Zhao N., Zhou Q. (2013). A synchrotron radiation realtime in situ imaging study on the reverse polarity effect in Cu/Sn–9Zn/Cu interconnect during liquid–solid electromigration. Scripta Materialia. 68, 853-856.
7. Zraev D. O., Kornienko. S. V. (2013). Experimental research of the growth kinetics of the new phase in the system copper - tin under electric current. Visnyk Cherkaskoho universytetu (Bulletin of Cherkasy University). 16(269), 64-69.
8. Zraev D. O., Kornienko. S. V. (2014). Investigation of the growth kinetics of the intermetallic compound in the system copper - tin with electromigration. Visnyk Cherkaskoho universytetu, seriia fizyko – matematychni nauky. (Bulletin of Cherkasy University). 16(309). 64-70.
9. Gurov K. P., Gusak A. M. (1987). On the theory of phase growth in the diffusion zone during mutual diffusion in an external electric field. Fizika metallov i Metallovedenie (Physics of metals and Metallography), 52(4),767-773.
10. Chen C. M., Chen S. W. (2001). Electromigration effect upon the Sn–0.7 wt% Cu/Ni and Sn–3.5 wt% Ag/Ni interfacial reactions. Journal of Applied Physics. 90, 1208- 1214.
11. Chen S. W., Chen C. M. (2003), Electromigration effects upon interfacial reactions. JOM. 55, 62-67.
12. Gusak A. M., Kornienko. S. V. (2007). Phase formation during electromigration. Visnyk Cherkaskoho universytetu (Bulletin of Cherkasy University). 114, 11-38.
13. Kornienko S. V., Gusak A. M. (2009). The cooperative effect of Electromigration and Non-Equilibrium Vacancies on Reactive Phase Growth. Philosophical Magazine. 89(9), 525-534.
14. Gurov K. P., Gusak A. M. (1981). Mutual diffusion in an external electric field with allowance for non-equilibrium vacancies. Fizika metallov i Metallovedenie (Physics of metals and Metallography), 52(3), 131-138.